Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Cocoa Butterfly


After several weeks of a horrendous work schedule and then a total creativity block, I'm back at it in my stamping room - or my "happy place" as I sometimes refer to it.

I made this card for the color challenge on Splitcoast - had to use Close to Cocoa, Taken With Teal and Vanilla. I really like this color combo and have used it before on more masculine type cards.

With the color challenges I usually pull the color cardstock and look at them as I peruse my stamps. Usually a particular stamp/stamp set will scream out to me as the one and this time is no different. I thought this butterfly from Stamp Camp would be perfect - stamped in cocoa and colored with shades of teal. This time, though, I wanted the color to be softer. So instead of reaching for my copics (which I'm addicted to), I grabbed my Prismacolor pencils and gamsol.

I used three different colors of teal to color the image after stamping it in Cocoa. I blended the colors in and through the image using the gamsol and a blending stick. Then I picked up some purple, yellow, green and dark royal blue to blend in for a subtle variegated look and for shadows/highlights on the butterfly. When that was complete, I restamped the butterfly image again using my stamp-a-ma-jig with Versamark and heat embossed using clear embossing powder.

I had the DP already which was perfect match with the butterfly. It's hard to see in the photo, but it also has teal as a main color with all the other colors I used in the butterfly. I mounted the image on cocoa cardstock cut with the Nestabilities Labels 4 die (which is layered on top of teal cut with the same die - just offset enough for the teal to show). A few corner punch details and some dew drops on the corners and that's it.

So I'm feeling good - think I've got my creative mojo back! More to come in the next few days.

Thanks so much for visiting my blog today!

Recipe:
Stamps - Stamp Camp
Paper - Close to Cocoa, Vanilla, Taken with Teal, Basic Grey DP "June Bug"
Ink - Close to Cocoa, Versamark, Prismacolor Pencils and Gamsol for blending (image)
Accessories - Dew Drops, Fiskars "Heritage" corner punches, Nestabilities Labels 4 dies

No comments: