Monday, July 5, 2010

Poppies, Poppies, Poppies!

 This "Poppies" card was made for the Play Date Cafe Challenge #36 using There She Goes stamp set.

If you can't tell with your visit here to my blog, I love the combination of red and pink! So when I saw the Play Date Cafe challenge this week to use red, pink and white it was right up my alley and I knew instantly I had to play! 

I started with these gorgeous poppies from the There She Goes "Poppies" stamp set.  I adore poppies because of their beautiful color and this stamp set, designed by Chris Dark, is fabulous.  I loved coloring these flowers with my Copics!  I used R27, R37 and R59.  The main image panel background was sponged with Stampin' Up Pink Pirouette ink and then cut out using Spellbinders oval dies.  The SB scallop oval dies were also used with Papertrey Ink Pure Poppy cardstock. 


I created my own designer paper for the background panel using Papertrey Ink's "Damask Designs".  It started with Pink Pirouette cardstock and ink, stamping the design repeatedly.  Then I went over it - slightly offset with PTI Pure Poppy ink (I know...poppies everywhere!). I just thought the pink in the background would give it some depth. The corners were punched with Fiskars "Heritage" corner punch and then the panel layered on the Pure Poppy cardstock and then on SU Whisper White.  All that was mounted on Pink Pirouette cardstock.

For the white filigree layer, I used Spellbinders Shapeabilities Pendants dies called "In Spades".  I layered two of them to achieve this effect.  Some red grosgrain ribbon that I had was threaded through and under the image panel.

A final touch was stamping the butterfly image from the same "Poppies" stamp set onto the scrap of the background paper I created.  I stamped two, cut them out and adherred them with small pop dots on to the main focal image.  The last embellishment was adherring the half pearls around the white filigree panel and in the corners of the card.

I like how this turned out - I mean, really, who doesn't love red and pink together?!!  Tell me what you think...

Thanks for stopping by!






Update to this post on July 8, 12:26 a.m.:   My "Poppies" card made the FAB 4 at the Play Date Cafe!  Thanks to the Design Team for the recognition!  Wahoo!

13 comments:

Tenia Nelson said...

Gasp!!!!! This card is super fab!!!!! I love it!!

Heide said...

Sharon,
This is stunning! The colors are beautiful together. Great coloring too!

Sarah Anderson said...

Your background paper is scrumptious, and those poppies are stunning! Love it! Thanks for playing along with us at the play date cafe :)

Suzanne C said...

Stunning card. Love the poppies and the design is so elegant. Thanks for playing along with us at the PDCC!

Emma Fewkes said...

Fabulous colouring, Sharon. The depth in the poppies is amazing. Lovely job.

Lisa Somerville said...

Stunning card and design, thanks for playing at the PDCC.

ChristineCreations said...

Oh WOW this is stunning Sharon...such beautiful use of the reds!

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

WOW--love all that red! This is a FAB card:) Thanks for joining us at the PDCC:)

Kathryn Ruddick said...

Sharon, your poppies are magnificent - what a fantastic card, and inspired use of the colours!

Susan said...

Congrats on your Fab 4 win!! Love your card, it's gorgeous!!

Alice Regan said...

Your card is fabulous, gorgeous! Just down right beautiful!

Unknown said...

This is gorgeous, Sharon! Congrats on your Fab 4 achievement.. well deserved! Thanks for playing with the Play Date Cafe!!

Ruby said...

I never got chance to finish commenting last week because I was away, so apologies that this is late, but what a beautiful card for our challenge, a stunning creation!!! Thanks for playing along with us at the Play Date Cafe!